Skip to main content

Sully's Watch

I walk up to the one story house with its meager front yard with a spring in my step. From its outward appearance I knew I wasn’t going to make any money off this visit, but I had done rather well for myself recently so that didn’t matter, the smile would be enough. I rapped on the thick wooden door and took a step back so that whoever answered  wouldn’t be surprised by a stranger standing in their doorway. A woman, bright red hair pulled back into a bun, big blue eyes, rosy cheeks and a little polite thin smile, answered. She was a cute little thing, wearing a nice blue and white checkered sundress tightly wrapped around her lithe form thanks to a white apron tied around her tight.

“Is this the home of a missus... Sullivan?” I ask politely, taking off my brimmed hat and placing it against my chest. I knew already who she was, I had been searching for her for a few weeks now.

“Why yes.” she said with a smile. “I am her but I am afraid I just cannot afford whatever you are selling.” she explained politely but dismissively all the same.

“Oh no, missus Sullivan, I am not here to sell you anything. My job is the retrieval and returning of goods. I have some items of your husbands, a mister James Sullivan?” I place the hat upon my head and pull from my pocket a few trinkets, an old timepiece, and some letters.

Missus Sullivan nearly shrieked, snatching the items from my hand. She looked them over, tears in her eyes, and then back to me. “How did you get them?” she asked, both relieved and a little suspicious before looking over the items. “Oh, Sully…” she nearly whispered, a sad smile on her pretty face.

She already knew that her husband had died, many had in the Civil War going on in the country, but it always took sometime to track down the next of kin in my business. “My job is too retrieve items off the bodies of fallen soldiers and return them to their next of kin. I would have been here sooner but the casualties are high, my company is stretched thin.” It’s a lie. This whole thing a charade. I just needed to be rid of these items.

“That’s morbid work.” she said plainly, not bothering to hide the disgust from her face. I simply nod and point to the trinkets.

“Before I depart I just need to confirm that those belonged to your late husband? Also, in my work it can be hard to track down some families. If I could have you look at a few more items, see if any of them seem familiar?” I smile politely, though I kick myself on the inside. I just needed to go. I don’t even have any other trinkets.

Missus Sullivan looked through everything and nodded. “These are definitely his. Don’t I owe you anything for these?”

“Nothing.” I say putting up my hands and waving them dismissively. “My company is paid by the government and I get paid by the items I return.” It was a lie, if I couldn’t find the owner of these trinkets I sold them. That’s how I made my money. Sometimes I asked for donations, especially if the family seemed well off, other times I might try and woo the lady of the house for an evening.

I catch myself staring at the pocket watch hanging from the lady’s wrist and dart my eyes back up to missus Sullivan. Again I note her lithe form, her pretty face, she really was a looker. My eyes catch hers, she is looking me over cooly with just a hint of a smile, well aware that I was giving her the look over. Well, I suppose I didn’t have to run off so quickly after all...

“Aherm, well miss, I am glad these items have found their way home at last, and I am truly sorry for your loss. Please have a fine evening.” I say quickly, pretending to be embarrassed, suddenly rushing to leave.

“Oh!” she says a little shocked at herself as she reaches forward and grabs my arm. She pulls away shyly. “I’m sorry, that was rude of me. Didn’t you have some things you wanted to show me? I was just about to make some coffee, why don’t you come in and have a rest and we’ll see if I can help you.”

Needless to say I went with the lady, had her coffee, then a fine dinner, and then some fine wine before taking her to her bed. The evening ended as it always had, I felt satisfied and the lady wept at the edge of her bed, feeling she has betrayed the memory of her husband. I stare at the pocket watch I had returned to her earlier that day, now sitting on the side table next to where she slept. I kept picturing the body of the man it belonged to. It didn’t matter how many times I tried to erase that scene from my mind it persisted.

It was souring my mood.

“I… I am sorry.” I say with empty sympathy. “If you’d wish I will wash up and leave you be.” She says nothing, but shrugs away from my touch. I say nothing more, leaving her bed and exiting the room, grabbing my clothes strewn about the floor and moving into the water closet.

I changed quickly, washing my hands with just the water. I looked into the mirror a moment and gave myself a plain smile before looking back down and gasping, throwing myself backwards into the wall and nearly falling into the tub beside me. The water, when I had looked back down, had turned thick and red. Looking to my hands to inspect them they were simply wet. I stood up and glanced at the sink, turning off the faucet, the water was still water. That was new, but I figured I was tired, simply tired. I just needed to go find an inn and get some rest.

I needed to get away from that damn watch.

I dried my hands and moved out of the water closet into the hall, missus Sullivan, Annalise I came to find out, stood at the doorway of her room in a nightgown.

“I’m sorry.” she said quietly. “I didn’t mean to make you feel awkward. Please stay the night, I really don’t want to be alone right now.”

I stayed silent a moment before nodding, what was one more night with that pocket watch? Especially if she was giving me a place to stay for free, and possibly... breakfast? We went back to her bed and she cuddled my chest and fell asleep silently crying. I just held her and looked at the pocket watch. Willing it to leave me be. I knew I was a horrible person, but I had returned it so now I could dream about something else for a change

I slept then, and it was all for naught as the scene that had haunted my nights for the past month played for me in my mind once more.

In honesty I wasn’t a whole lot better than the cutthroats I worked beside. We would wait, hiding always off from a battle, waiting for the victor to be decided so that we may come and pick through the corpses in the night. Many men weren’t always dead and while those who I travelled and hid with were happy to put knife to a half dead man's throat; I was not. I prided myself as not being a killer, only stripping goods from bodies that I knew were dead.

As we waited the boys were exchanging stories of horror that went from as commonplace as evading angry dogs and gun fire from nearby soldiers who caught them in the middle of their work, to true horror, of encountering ghosts of the newly dead.

“Have you heard of a revenant before?” asked one of them, a young man new to the business. He was a little too happy before the battle and always white faced and scared of every body when work was at hand. To answer his question, we hadn’t.

“They’re supposed to be dead men so angry about their condition that they come to life to find the people who have wronged them.”

The lot of us scoff at the young man. “There’s no such thing” we tell him. The deads dead, and that’s all there is to it.

However as night fell and our dirty business began, I admit I had kept the thought in the back of my head as we spread ourselves thin among the corpses. The bodies looked especially horrible this time around, and I was having a hard time looting, afraid they might leap up at me. I had to seriously shake the thought away and get to work, and before I knew it I had several greenback notes, a few time pieces and cufflinks even a few medals awarded from previous battles.  

Then I came across a familiar face. There, laying on the ground, looking like he had a little more life than the others around him, as James Sullivan, a man I grew up with. A good kid, when I left town it seemed he had his whole life ahead of him. He could of gone on o have done anything, instead he went off to die. I give a regretful sigh as I look him over. He must have recently passed, by the look of him.

“Sorry Sully.” I say as I use my knife to cut away several button from hi uniform I could sell for a snack, using the knife blade to flip open his jacket so I could inspect his inside pocket. A few greenbacks, some letters to his wife, and an old timepiece. His fathers originally if I recalled correctly, I’d keep the greenbacks, but I could return the goods, maybe for a little coin.

“Thanks Sully, rest now.” I say in farewell as I place his jacket back in a way to make him look a little more dignified.

That’s when Sully gasped, his eyelids flashed open to reveal angry, pained, bloodshot eyes, and he groaned loudly. Maybe the kid had gotten to me, maybe it was the timing, possibly both. All that was going through my head was that Sully had come to life once more to ill me for taking his things. I screamed, and then I became as bad as the rest of the looters around me, as I plunged my knife into his heart...a couple times… to make sure he wasn’t moving.

The blood pooled on his chest as it emptied from the several holes I had made. I looked at my blood soaked hands and knife and realized what I had done. I looked around the rest of the battlefield, several of the looters were watching from a distance, several giving me approving nods.

I was no better than them now. There wasn’t a difference between us anymore. The real kicker, in my time between that battlefield and returning that watch, was the realization that there never had been a real difference but the act. I was a little surprised as it didn’t take long for me to get over the guilt. I just hope that after tonight the dreams stop... It’s getting to be agonizingly boring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghosts of Fort Simcoe Job Corp

I was nineteen when I first set foot at Fort Simcoe Job Corps. I was ushered into the dorm I would be spending the next seven months in, and was corralled quickly into a dorm room with several other boys who took one look at me and gave me my nickname. “We got a Lurch!” they cried. I was six foot eight inches tall at the time and towered over everyone. I smiled, this wasn’t exactly what I was expecting but it was a nice sentiment to someone in a completely new location. It was already near ten o’clock and I had been on the road since seven that morning, needless to say, I was tired. I got settled and after a string of questions about myself, we all finally went to bed around midnight. It was only 5 hours later and I woke up to everyone moving around. Apparently, we were to be up, dressed, and ready. Breakfast was in the cafeteria around 6:30 and we had to be back in our dorm at 7:30 for roll call. It was during breakfast I had been asked if the ghosts had messed with me. Apparentl

It Sensed My Fear

I first saw it when I was just a little girl. I couldn't have been more than eight years old, lying in bed trying to sleep through my mother and her boyfriend fighting. If I could just sleep I wouldn't have to worry, I could go to sleep and wake up and the arguing would be done, and I wouldn't have to hear him. Slamming his fist on a table, throwing something against the wall, hitting her, and if I was asleep, he wouldn't come after me either. It had been a particularly bad night already, he had skipped the fist slams, the throwing of objects, and had moved straight into hitting her. That means he'd be here before too long. Before I could fall asleep. The fear inside of me welled up, tears were beginning to appear at the corner of my eyes as I watched the door in horror. Waiting for him to come in and drag me out of bed. I lay on my back, eyes to the ceiling, trying to figure out the best way to fall asleep right away. That's when I saw it. It was out of the

Reversal

She had him right where she wanted him. Dead to rights. She was sure of it. She smiled sweetly, showing her bright whites as he approached. It had been a long week for her. Very sparse in her feedings over the last month, with this whole week dry. She needed the man as much as she was going to make him think he needed her. She felt embarrassed as she slipped one shapely leg out of a on trenchcoat she was holding shut, pulling the coat taut around her to show off her form. She was not used to this, being on the street like some Lady of The Night, she was a class act, and mingled among members of high society. She didn’t have trouble like this. She never had to go to the streets and hunt. Yet, here she was. “Hey mister.” she said, her voice playful, her smile still sweet as sin. “Ma’am.” said the man, wearing some tan slacks and a white button up. He looked tired, his hair, not very long, was messed up like he had ran his hands through it in exasperation one to many times. He cont