Skip to main content

The First Monday of The Month

I've been hearing the sirens since High School almost ten years ago. A "Lahar Drill" they called it. The first Monday of each month they'd blare the Lahar sirens to make sure they were still in working order. That way, if the mountain ever erupted, we'd have a way to know giving us half an hour to escape the valley town we lived in, fleeing for higher ground, before the Lahar, a mixture of mud, water, and debris flowed through our town like the river of death and destruction it is said to be.
At first, the sirens were feared by most. The sirens would sound and everyone would rush to the windows to make sure it was just the drill, and not the actual mountain erupting. Many practiced their lahar drills at that time, figuring out the best routes to get to safety in the half-an-hour window we'd have. People began buying more and more emergency rations as if the installment of these drills was an omen that the mountain would erupt tomorrow.
It didn't. Each month the Lahar Drill would sound on the first Monday and would last about five minutes. It quickly became a routine, the Lahar would go off, everyone would glance to the sky looking for dark clouds, and then just shrug, keeping the alarm in the back of their heads. Five years later and people began to ignore it completely. Changes were then implemented making the Sirens louder, and lasting for ten minutes instead of five.
Now you couldn't ignore it, but still, it did no good. People felt more inconvenienced than anything and just dealt with it, forcing it to the back of their heads again while they concentrated on their commute or talking into their phones. Fast forward to now, where the ultimate irony, something I expected long ago, lies. It was the first Monday of the month, the Lahar Drill sounded, I looked at the mountain, gathered my family, and we ran. Ten minutes later and the sirens hadn't stopped.
There were more people running with us than I expected but not nearly enough. We signaled, as we ran, to people in their cars, who looked at us like we were crazy, before realizing what was happening. Ten minutes later and the Lahar Drill was still blaring. More people were becoming aware this was not a drill. My family and I continued to run, and I wished there were more people with us like there ought to have been. But there was less than twenty minutes left to escape, and we lived in the center of downtown. The run took us half an hour every time we practiced it. Too many people believed it was just another drill, they didn't take the time to check. They had become too complacent.
Besides, who could have expected the mountain to erupt on the first Monday of the month?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghosts of Fort Simcoe Job Corp

I was nineteen when I first set foot at Fort Simcoe Job Corps. I was ushered into the dorm I would be spending the next seven months in, and was corralled quickly into a dorm room with several other boys who took one look at me and gave me my nickname. “We got a Lurch!” they cried. I was six foot eight inches tall at the time and towered over everyone. I smiled, this wasn’t exactly what I was expecting but it was a nice sentiment to someone in a completely new location. It was already near ten o’clock and I had been on the road since seven that morning, needless to say, I was tired. I got settled and after a string of questions about myself, we all finally went to bed around midnight. It was only 5 hours later and I woke up to everyone moving around. Apparently, we were to be up, dressed, and ready. Breakfast was in the cafeteria around 6:30 and we had to be back in our dorm at 7:30 for roll call. It was during breakfast I had been asked if the ghosts had messed with me. Apparentl

The Natures of Men and Monsters Part Four: The Scene Of The Crime

-- Forest Outside of town 01:30 PM -- He wasn’t sleeping well, he kept seeing the bodies in his mind and when he slept they often penetrated his dreams. It was his day off, he had no uniform, no badge, no direct radio to his brothers and sisters in blue. Jimmy only had his gun holstered and hidden under his light tan jacket, and his cellphone with only one bar of service. He wasn’t expecting any trouble, not really, but he was returning to the scene of the first crime, and they always say serial killers do that as well, so he might as well have some sort of protection. Jimmy walked up the forest trail to the clearing still marked off with police tape. There were supposed to be follow up investigations here to try and find more evidence. It would be happening either today or tomorrow but with the new murder in the park last night and the already small town police force already being stretched thin meant the investigation would be pushed back, and most likely rushed. It was ove

It Sensed My Fear

I first saw it when I was just a little girl. I couldn't have been more than eight years old, lying in bed trying to sleep through my mother and her boyfriend fighting. If I could just sleep I wouldn't have to worry, I could go to sleep and wake up and the arguing would be done, and I wouldn't have to hear him. Slamming his fist on a table, throwing something against the wall, hitting her, and if I was asleep, he wouldn't come after me either. It had been a particularly bad night already, he had skipped the fist slams, the throwing of objects, and had moved straight into hitting her. That means he'd be here before too long. Before I could fall asleep. The fear inside of me welled up, tears were beginning to appear at the corner of my eyes as I watched the door in horror. Waiting for him to come in and drag me out of bed. I lay on my back, eyes to the ceiling, trying to figure out the best way to fall asleep right away. That's when I saw it. It was out of the